Friday, July 29, 2011

Paul Daley talks Woodley, wrestling, and ?Marq-fart?

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -- Paul Daley's loss to Nick Diaz in April a back-and-forth fight, with Daley looking close to the win during the bout, but Diaz coming back for the win. At the Strikeforce open workouts, he talked about how he got over that loss.

"The usual way that we do in England. Go out, have a drink, party."

Cagewriter mentioned that it's also how we get over losses in America.

"I've drank with Americans, and I think us Brits do it a little bit better. Nah, I'm joking. I just relaxed, tried to take my mind off the loss, and look at a way that I can come back stronger. The goal is to be a champion."

His path to be a champion in Strikeforce started when he was cut from the UFC after 113, when he threw a punch at Josh Koscheck after their fight had ended. It's not a moment that he's particularly proud of, but it's one that fans continue to congratulate him on.

"Everybody saying they hate Koscheck and saying well-done for hitting him? That's what I keep getting greeted with in the lobby. Obviously, I'm sorry for what I did, it's not something I'd repeat, and it's not something that I'm proud of, but I think the fan backlash is a little bit twisted. If I had a pound for every time somebody said well done for hitting Koscheck, I'd be a millionaire."

The Brit is hoping to create more memorable moments against another wrestler. In his first fight since losing to Nick Diaz in April, Daley will face Tyron Woodley at Strikeforce this weekend. Woodley was an All-American wrestler at the University of Missouri.

"Obviously, being the top fighter that I am, my least favorite fight is going to be against wrestlers, so I have to look at improving that area. It's something that I've continuously done. It's not something that I've stopped just because in recent fights I haven't faced wrestlers. I have to find all the best wrestlers I can and continue to improve in that area. I think I'm going to be there, and I think that Woodley is going to be surprised at the improvements I've made since my last fight with a wrestler.

With his unceremonious dismissal from the UFC after 113, you would expect that he would be in an awkward position after Zuffa, the UFC's parent company, bought Strikeforce. Instead, Daley was surprised by overtures from Lorenzo Fertitta.

"Lorenzo came to my dressing room before the Diaz fight, and he's a very cool guy. I've always said that. Very humble and approachable. He came to my fight and wished me good luck. He came out of his way to say hello, and he doesn't have to do that."

That quick cut from the UFC means that Daley has something in common with Nate Marquardt, the former UFC fighter who was released when he not allowed to fight on the UFC on Versus 4 card by the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission. But don't look for any camaraderie between the two.

"I voiced my opinions about what he did and what he got caught for, and he comes back calling me a coward and a bully. I'm sure that's what he used to call people in the playgrounds. I aired my views in a sophisticated and direct manner, and he came back with that bullshit. If I am able to fight Nate 'The Great' Marq-Fart, then I will."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Paul-Daley-talks-Woodley-wrestling-and-Marq-f?urn=mma-wp5110

SKYWORKS SOLUTIONS SILICON LABORATORIES SI INTERNATIONAL SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY SCIENTIFIC GAMES

No comments:

Post a Comment