Sunday, October 2, 2011

Melissa McCarthy: Motherhood Made Me Less Insecure About My Looks

Melissa McCarthy: Motherhood Made Me Less Insecure About My Looks

For years, Melissa McCarthy has been the proverbial comedic "best friend" sidekick -- but now she's finally in the spotlight.

The funny lady is having the best year of her career: She won an Emmy for her leading role on the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly and chewed up the scenery in the blockbuster comedy ensemble Bridesmaids. But the role McCarthy, 41, savors the most isn't professional -- it's being mother to her two young daughters, Vivian, 4, and Georgette, 1.

Parenting her girls with actor-husband Ben Falcone (he was the Air Marshal in Bridesmaids) has had a profound effect on McCarthy's self-esteem, she tells The Hollywood Reporter.

"The stupid stuff, like what I wear or how I look, I can't control, so I just try not to give too much energy to it," she says, referring to her postpartum body as a work in progress. "At 20, I would have been like: 'Don't they like me? Was it my hair?' At 41, I think the things that define me, I hope, are a lot more than those kinds of petty things." ??

But McCarthy does care about fashion -- she even designed her own Emmys gown with the help of custom dressmaker Daniella Pearl. And as a plus-sized actress, McCarthy has to have a healthy sense of humor about her red-carpet options.

"Trying to find stuff that's still fashion-forward in my size is damn near impossible. It's either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle," McCarthy jokes.

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/melissa-mccarthy-motherhood-made-me-less-insecure-about-my-looks/1-a-387172

Carla Campbell Carla Gugino

No comments:

Post a Comment