Thursday, June 24, 2010

Working Freelance: Not For Everyone!

I recently responded to a young woman’s thread on another blog regarding what it takes to enter the world of freelance writing.

The questions she asked were interesting, which is good, and something that everyone should do if exploring whether to jump into this dynamic field.

Without going through all the 5 questions again, these were some of my responses to her:

When asked about hours worked per week, I told her I average between 55-70 hours.

When asked the type of work that I am doing now, I responded that I was updating someone’s web site.

Nope, I do have other jobs to do besides writing…I have to pay the bills, right?

When asked what I like best about freelancing, I mentioned not having a boss to answer to and being able to pick and choose the projects that appeal to me.

Finally, when asked about the down sides of freelancing I mentioned the long hours as well as the ups and downs of the business: feast or famine!

So, I guess I have this to say to anyone who is considering entering the freelance world: it ain’t all glamour but if you don’t mind working hard you can make a go of it.

That’s it!

No comments:

Post a Comment